Mileage

  • Week:
  • Month:
  • Year:

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Coming back with a renewed attitude...

A couple of weeks ago I ran in the Ogden Marathon.  I made some mistakes.  The biggest one was that of a rookie by heading out way too fast.  I knew better as I have learned this lesson over the course of my previous 35 marathons.  I was caught up in the moment and just ignored my body's warning signs and the pace on my gps.  By the halfway point, I was over 5 minutes ahead of schedule.  Around mile 15 I began to realize my laxed attitude and dropped strategy were going to cost me!  It was literally all down hill for me in the second half.  My five minutes 'in the bank' at the half lead to a defecit of at least 14 minutes on my finishing time.  I also felt really crappy and struggled to keep a forward motion.
A week from today, I plan on running in the Utah Valley Marathon.  It was there that I had my best finishing time of the 11 I ran last year.  (3:08:00)  I have regained my excitement of this upcoming event, after a week of being pissed off after Ogden.  This time, I have been reminded to not bite off more than I can chew, keep my focus and to have some patience.  Hopefully this will lead to an overall positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment