Mileage

  • Week:
  • Month:
  • Year:

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Salt Lake 10 Miler...

It was nice to have the weather cooperate for this event!  The last couple of years have been less than favorable.  I guess it's a risky time of year where it can snow one day, and then turn around as t-shirt weather the next.  I kind of went overkill on running pants and a long sleeve tech, but hey; it was only 10 miles! 
Having run my first 50 miler last Saturday, I was uncertain what my legs would feel like today.  In addition; I have been battling shin splints for the last month as I've ramped up my mileage.  Upon reviewing my training logs (I still do them on paper-I guess I'm old fashioned that way!) I noticed the same trouble last year coming out of the winter slumber, and in getting ready for another season of marathoning.  I have been doing some pre-run stretches and they make a world of a difference!

I was hoping to beat my time from last year, with the better weather conditions, but knew my legs were not fresh.  I have also had a lack of speed work in my workouts lately and knew that could be a factor.  Regardless of the outcome, I knew this could be a good opportunity for a tempo run in getting ready for the SLC Marathon in a couple of weeks, and I would get a feel for where I'm at.
After milling around the start for about 45 minutes, we were off and running.  I started out with a group of 4 other runners (including Allie, whom I introduced myself to at the start) and drafted behind as we made our ascent to the top of Little Mountain.  I made no effort to check our pace on my Garmin, but quickly found myself going anaerobic.  I knew I'd be in better shape once we had cleared the summit, however I resigned myself to falling back to regain control of my respiration.  

The challenge I faced upon the descent, was gaining an efficient stride and softening up my foot falls.  I could tell it was very choppy, and my feet were quite loud.  I had a couple runners pass me around mile three, but I felt my better miles were to come.  In my mind, I wasn't too discouraged, and just focused on the feedback I received from my body.

I spent miles 3-5 trying to form a fluid cadence.  One the runners that passed me earlier had remained in my sights, and from miles 6-8, we exchanged positions several times.  The second place woman also joined in briefly.  Fortunately I was able to maintain a solid pace from 8 to the finish, and pulled ahead. (Dang, it only took me 80% of the race to find my rhythm!)

It was a good day to get out and participate in a low key event.  I was slower than last year by :26, which is fine by me!  Considering last weekend's race, and my somewhat inconsistent weekly mileage lately; I'm content with where I'm at.  Finish time: 1:05:01, Finish place 8/294, Age group (30-34) 1/24

No comments:

Post a Comment